School bells across the Eastside will be ringing soon as the back-to-school rush begins. For many families, the start of the school year can be stressful and hectic. Eating a healthy breakfast can become a daunting task.
For healthy back-to-school breakfast ideas, we asked Dr. Lisa Wada of NaturoMedica at Grand Ridge Plaza. A naturopathic physician, she specializes in pediatrics and maternity care, and makes this tasty Ready-for-School smoothie for her kids.
“This high-protein, nutrient-dense vegan smoothie has just the right punch to get your little ones ready to learn,” explains Dr. Wada. “Ripple Pea Protein Milk is a great non-dairy, low-allergen milk alternative found at specialty grocers. This delicious smoothie satisfies my kids while also taking their food sensitivities into account.”
Makes 2 servings
- 3 cups Vanilla Ripple Pea Protein Milk
- 1 tbsp. unsalted almond butter
- 1 frozen banana, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp. flax meal (flax seeds that are ground to break down the hard outer shell)
- 3 pitted dates (soaked overnight in warm water)
- Strain dates and discard water.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Split between two glasses and serve.
NaturoMedica at Grand Ridge Plaza is a full-service naturopathic medical clinic that is home to seven licensed naturopathic physicians. The clinic offers naturopathic healthcare, acupuncture and IV (intravenous) therapy. NaturoMedica doctors can provide primary care or work with an established physician to address health concerns. The clinic also has a retail dispensary, which is open to the public and stocks vitamins, supplements and healthcare products. NaturoMedica is located at 1220 10th Ave NE. To learn more, call (425) 557-8900 or www.naturomedica.com.